I'm not a big fan of spaghetti or pasta dishes, except for lasagna, so I don't cook it very often. Today I decided to make seafood spaghetti because I have some shells and shrimp I need to use. I made a marinara sauce from fresh tomatoes. I'm allergic to shrimp so I mixed it in the sauce after I've checked the flavor. Why don't you try this at home.
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 5 large ripe tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 small carrot minced
- 1 medium white onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1/4 ts salt
- 1/4 ts pepper
- 250g dried pasta cooked according to package insctructions
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 12 green mussels
- 6 prawns
- 2 small calamari
- 100 ml white wine
- Prepare the marinara sauce ahead of time. Wash 6 large ripe tomatoes. Cut into wedges. Put 2tbs olive oil in a hot pan. Saute tomatoes for 2 min. and turn off the heat. Take out the tomato wedges and remove the skin. This should be easy now that the tomatoes are soft. Minced the tomatoes.
- Heat a sauce pan and put 2 tbs of olive oil. Add the garlic, onion, celery and carrots and saute for 10 min.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and pepper and simmer on low heat for about an hour. (Leave the pan uncovered)
- Set aside and cool it down.
- Now cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Clean the green mussels. Scrub the shells clean and remove the beards.
- Clean the calamari. remove the skin. Cut the body into rings.
- Peel the prawns and devein.
- Put 1 tbs oil in the the pan. Saute the shrimp and calamari until the shrimp turns orange.
- Add white wine. Cover and simmer until liquid is reduced to half.
- Add the marinara sauce and stir. Bring it to boil.
- Put the green mussels and stir. Cover and cook until the mussels open.
- Toss in the cooked pasta and mix well.
- Turn off the heat. Top with parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Serve with salad greens or garlic bread. ^^