I used to make this snack using a mix. It's something you can get in a Korean Mart and its pretty much like a pancake mix. It uses some glutinous rice flour, though. This one I made from scratch using all purpose flour and I actually like the texture better. It's lighter and crispier. It's not really difficult but it requires an awful lot of time for a snack. If you're not pressed for time, you should try this recipe!
Cinnamon Sugar Pancake Hoddeok (호떡)
-2 cups flour
-1 cup water
-2 tsp dry yeast
-2 tbs sugar
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp chopped peanuts
- Make the dough by dissolving dry yeast, sugar, and salt in warm water. Stir in the oil. Put in 2 cups of flour and mix well.
- Cover the container weith plastic wrap and let the dough rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by mixing the sugar, cinnamon powder, and nuts. Set it aside.
- Check the dough and mix it to remove bubbles. Let it rise for another 30 min.
- Set up a clean place to knead the dough. Sprinkle some flour on a chopping board to keep the dough from sticking to it. Take the dough out and knead it until bubbles are removed and it has a nice sticky consistency.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Flatten each pieces in to thin circles on the palm of your hands.Scoop a spoonful of filling and put it on the center of the flattened dough and seal it in to balls. Do the same for all the remaining pieces.
- Heat a non-stick frypan and put some oil. Put one of the balls in the pan with the sealed end facing downward. Once it turns slightly brown, turn it over. Use the spatula to press down the dough carefully. Watch for the filling coz it might burst out. Turn it over when its brown and cook the other side as well. Get easy on the heat and be careful not to burn the pancake.
This makes 8 servings. You can use other stuff for the fillings. Enjoy!!!~