Friday, September 30, 2011

Cajun Chicken Skewers


It's been a while since my last post. I didn't have the time to post all my recipes but I will update this blog very soon. I had a trip to Puerto Galera in the Philippines and the food there was just  amazing. I had this very long chicken skewer with the conventional tomato and onion. The restaurant lays a spread of various meat and seafood ready for grill by the entrance. You can actually take your pick. Not only was the food fresh, but the meat was so tender. It's unlike other chicken skewers or BBQ Id had before.

I was inspired by my trip to put together a little something of my own. I made this for my hunny's lunchbox. It's size is perfect for cocktail parties, a little like finger food. I used cajun spice to marinade the chicken. Then just a little slice of caramelised orange to give that zingy taste that blends well with cajun (for me...). I put fresh cucumber and caramelised or grillled onion at the end.

Try this very simple and tasty treat.

Ingredients:
Meat:
2 chicken breast fillets
2 tbs mc cormick cajun seasoning mix
1 tbs veg oil
1tbs water

Orange slices (half an orange)
sugar
1 tbs water

cucumber
onion
red pepper
salt
olive oil

Method:
  1. Mix the marinade ingredients with chicken and set aside for 30 min.
  2. While your chicken is marinading, make the caramelised orange. Coat the orange slices in brown sugar. Put in a hot non stick fry pan. Wait until the sugar caramelises before turning over. Be careful not to burn the orange slices. Add a little water to avoid burning.
  3. Preheat the grill. Grill red pepper and onion.
  4. Grill chicken for 3-4 min on both sides or until juice is clear. Set aside for 10 min. Cut into 1" cubes.
  5. Slice cucumber about quarter inch thick. If you are using a fat cucumber, cut into 4 crosswise and remove big seeds.
  6. Assemble. Get small skewers. You can use bamboo, plastic, or metal skewers. Stick the red pepper, chicken, orange, chicken, cucumber, and onion.

You can use tomato and other kinds of sweet peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment