Japchae is stir fried glass noodle with plenty of vegetables. It's a lot similar to Filipino pancit gisado... I usually eat this one with rice. It might be weird for some people because it kind of is redundant to eat noodles and rice but it actually is a good combination. The noodles is quite filling on its own so rice isnt actually necessary...
This recipe really does take a while but it's sooo worth it. :)
- 200g beef sliced thinly (breakfast steak cut works well)
- glass noodles
- 1 med onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- bunch of spinach
- 1 cup dried black ear mushroom
- 1 med carrot cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup worth green onions cut into 2" long
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- canola oil (cooking oil)
- sesame seeds
- egg, salt and pepper
- Boil water and cook the noodles according to package instructions.
- Soak the mushrooms in warm water.When it grows, slice thinly.
- Wash the spinach and remove the dead parts. No need to cut it at this point.
- Make a thin egg omelet. Crack one egg and whisk it. Add salt and pepper. Put oil in a hot nonstick fry pan. Once the oil is hot, put in the egg.Stir a little before it settles. Spread thinly and evenly over the pan. Transfer on a plate once cooked and cool it down.
- Once the noodles are cooked, remove from the water. Do not throw the water because you can use it to cook your spinach.Put the noodles in a strainer to remove excess water then transfer to a large bowl or container where you can easily work with it. While hot add 1 tbs soy sauce and 1 tbs sesame oil. Mix to prevent the nooodles from sticking together.
- Put the spinach in the boiling water and cook for 30-40 sec. Remove from the water and rinse in cold water or running water until cool. This is called blanching or shocking. It stops the cooking process and retains the color of your veggies. Squeeze out excess water. Cut the base part and then into 2" long pieces. Add a dash of soy sauce and set aside.
- In the same pan where you made the omelet, add a little more oil and saute carrots for a minute. Add to the noodles. Do this same procedure for onions and green onions. add everything to the noodles.
- Saute beef until it changes color. Add the garlic and saute until aromatic. Add 4 tbs soy sauce, 2 tbs sugar, and 2 tbs water. When the mixture boils, simmer for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms and bring to boil. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the mixture onto the noodles.
- Cut the egg into thin strips. Add to the noodles.
- Shred 6pcs of a 3" long crabsticks and add to the noodles.
- Finally throw in the spinach and mix everything by hand. Adjust the taste.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and mix again.