It's my first time to make Chicken Nanban so I'm glad it turned out really well. It's basically fried chicken soaked in a sweet sour sauce. The down side of packing a crispy fried chicken is that it surely will get soggy by lunch time. This however, doesn't get soggy and it tastes good at room temperature so no need to heat.
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbs sugar
- 1 pc kelp
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cut the breast fillet into bite size pieces. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside
- Whisk 1 egg. Add a pich of salt.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat until it boils, stirring from time to time. Turn off the heat. Set aside.
- Put oil in a hot fry pan. Get a piece of chicken and dip in egg and then in cornstarch.
- Fry in medium high until one side is golden brown then turn over and cook the other side.
- Once it's cooked, put directly in the sauce and soak for a minute or until it's cooled down.
- Remove excess liquid before packing in your lunchbox.